GRAND RAPIDS, MI – An iconic hotel that has hosted numerous dignitaries, presidents and celebrities, the historic Amway Grand Plaza has joined Curio – A Collection by Hilton. As Hilton Worldwide‘s rapidly-expanding global collection of distinctive upscale and luxury hotels, Curio caters to passionate travelers seeking local discovery and authentic experiences. Located in downtown Grand Rapids, the Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton is owned and managed by AHC+Hospitality.
“This iconic property serves as a hot-spot for residents, business and leisure travelers thanks to its distinctive features that include the original architecture and design, as well as world-class dining options,” said Dianna Vaughan, global head, Curio – A Collection by Hilton. “We’re thrilled to welcome this intriguing hotel to the Curio collection that not only has a deep history in the Grand Rapids community, but one located at the heart of the best this beautiful city has to offer.”
Originally opened in 1913 as The Pantlind, the hotel included one of the world’s largest gold-leaf ceilings in the lobby and is honored to now be recognized as a Historical Hotel of America. As a National Trust for Historic Preservation, Historic Hotels of America recognizes hotels for faithfully maintaining their authenticity, sense of place and architectural integrity. Its distinguished history paved the way for the new Amway Grand Plaza, which reopened in 1981. Today, the hotel combines the graceful heritage of The Pantlind with the modern Glass Tower – which reopened in 2014 following a $14 million renovation featuring classic and contemporary design for today’s modern traveler.
Guests can relax in 682 spacious guestrooms, including 45 luxurious suites that include the Presidential Suite, Michigan Suite, Van Andel Suite and DeVos Suite. The hotel features a full service spa and salon, fitness center with state-of-the-art Precor equipment, an indoor pool, two hot tubs, a sauna and a steam room, a lighted tennis court, and racquetball court.
“We are able to offer our guests and the local community something that no other hotel can – a historic oasis in the heart of Grand Rapids,” said Richard Winn, president, AHC+Hospitality. “We’re excited to be a part of the Hilton Worldwide portfolio, and add this iconic hotel with sweeping views and abundant amenities to the Curio collection.”
The Amway Grand Plaza also boasts eight dining and lounge options ranging from fine dining to American classics to a restaurant featuring incredible views of the city:
- The Kitchen by Wolfgang Puck: As the first U.S. location of Wolfgang’s newest restaurant concept, The Kitchen features signature comfort food with a focus on quality, locally-sourced ingredients and innovative techniques.
- Cygnus27: Featuring Latin-inspired cuisine with a wide variety of flavors from Spain, Mexico and South America, this beautiful upscale restaurant offers the highest panoramic views of the Grand Rapids skyline.
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House: Famous for its exceptional food and wine, the restaurant serves the USDA prime steak, fresh seafood and a variety of other freshly made dishes – paired with an extensive wine list in an upscale environment.
- GP Sports Bar: Guests can enjoy a casual dining atmosphere with specialty burgers, pizzas and cocktails – complete with 40 televisions for watching sporting events.
- The Kitchen Counter by Wolfgang Puck: Guests looking for fresh, made-to-order options throughout the day can enjoy items such as the mushroom and spinach omelet with goat cheese or a seasonal salad made fresh with market vegetables, quinoa and champagne vinaigrette.
- Lumber Baron Bar: Settle into the warmth and charm of a historic bar – complete with fireplace leather club chairs and a large selection of premium drinks and appetizers.
- Garden Court Lounge: Guests seeking a leisurely morning breakfast brunch experience or a spot to unwind and relax in the evening with a fine glass of wine, premium beer or favorite cocktail fountain-side.
- Starbucks: Located in the lobby of the Pantlind building, travelers can choose from a selection of specialty coffee drinks, teas, sandwiches and bakery goods.
Amway Grand Plaza offers more than 47,000 sq. ft. of versatile meeting space, including 42 meeting rooms and four elegant ballrooms ranging from classic to contemporary. In 2014, Smart Meetings Magazine awarded the hotel the honor of “Best Ballroom in the Country” to the Ambassador ballroom. The historic hotel is a top wedding venue in the city and provides expert guidance, customized catering and special packages for couples’ special day. An additional 250,000 sq. ft. of meeting and exhibit space is available at DeVos Place Convention Center that is connected to the hotel through a climate-controlled skywalk.