MAUI, HAWAII – The Marriott Wailea Beach Resort in Maui has nearly completed a sweeping $100 million transformation of its resort set to debut this Christmas Even on December 24, 2016.
Inspired by its iconic Wailea Beach oceanfront location and the restorative power of the sea, the comprehensive transformation ushers in a new era of modern elevated services and memories for Wailea’s original resort. The entirely transformed contemporary resort features a reimagined arrival experience, six new dining options including HUMBLE MARKET KITCHIN by Roy Yamaguchi, three new distinct pool environments, and 547 redesigned rooms and suites, along with the total modernization of all indoor/outdoor meeting and event spaces, fitness center and spa. The resort’s proximity to the ocean inspires new guest programming, delivered by the resort’s ‘ohana (family) of associates.
“We are thrilled to introduce guests and the community to our transformed resort, and to the enduring and evolving spirit of Maui that makes a visit to the island so memorable,” said Thomas Foti, general manager, Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui. “With a rich history as Wailea’s first resort and our desirable location just steps from the water’s edge, we look forward to welcoming our guests to discover the new Wailea Beach Resort.”
Framed by two white sand beaches, rates at the Marriott resort start at $519 per night.
As the closest resort to the Wailea shoreline, the design creates synergy with the ocean through clean lines and simplicity in architecture, maximizing its proximity to the water. Every facet of the renovation evokes a strong sense of place. The resort’s layout across 22 acres offers both intimate alcoves for relaxing and large spaces for gathering, befitting romantic retreats, family time or meetings.
New and Transformed Spaces
A New Arrival Experience
The new Grand Lanai’s approachable design offers an open-air layout, with soaring ceilings and intimate seating areas. Trade wind breezes and breathtaking ocean panoramas greet guests for immediate harmony with the elements.
The resort’s 491 reimagined spacious guest rooms and 56 suites offer residential-style accommodations distinguished by comfortable contemporary interiors. Designed for the modern traveler, each room features new furnishings and enhanced in-room technology, including personal device mirror-casting, custom music streaming, and personalized Netflix and Hulu content. Every room has an outdoor lanai (balcony), while 62 ground floor rooms boast extended lanais offering guests a seamless indoor/outdoor living experience. Select accommodations, only a few feet from the water, reveal a closeness to the ocean that cannot be replicated on the island.
New Dining Concepts
- HUMBLE MARKET KITCHIN by Roy Yamaguchi: A pioneer of the Hawaii Regional Cuisine movement, Chef Roy Yamaguchidebuts his newest restaurant concept, HUMBLE MARKET KITCHIN by Roy Yamaguchi, as an ode to his grandfather Henry who immigrated to Hawaii. Chef Roy returns to his island roots and finds inspiration from various local cuisines – Japanese, Filipino, Chinese and Hawaiian – to create his internationally influenced, Hawaiian-inspired menu. Perched on one of the highest points at the property, the resort’s signature restaurant offers indoor/outdoor dining, panoramic ocean views and a design influenced by the surrounding mountains and enchanting sea: the perfect complement to Chef Roy’s cuisine.
- KAPA Bar & Grill: Both a destination to dine and a communal spot to gather over cocktails fireside, the all new KAPA Bar & Grill offers a playful option for those who prefer to convene poolside with captivating views of the ocean. The flavorful menu, inspired by Hawaii’s natural and sustainable resources, features local interpretations of comforting favorites. The vibrant bar and lounge features entertainment amenities such as billiards, shuffleboard, gaming stations and large screen TVs, offering respite from the sun and a place for families to connect.
- Whale’s Tale: Located just steps from ocean’s edge, the new casual beach bar offers morning and afternoon refreshment with cold pressed juices and local fruit smoothies, coffee drinks, breakfast pastries and acai bowls. In the evening, the ocean side setting offers an inviting space to take in Maui’s breathtaking sunsets over craft cocktails.
- Mo Bettah Food Truck and NALU Pool Bar: The NALU Adventure Pool’s Food Truck and Pool Bar serve grab-and-go options, kid-friendly favorites, and local treats like shaved ice and poke.
Unique and Expansive Pool Amenities
Wailea Beach Resort takes advantage of its 22 acres by creating three very distinct pool experiences, allowing guests to choose their own space for relaxation, rejuvenation and/or exhilaration.
- NALU Adventure Pool: The new expansive two-acre pool complex offers a fun-filled experience for families and kids of all ages. The centerpiece of the NALU Adventure Pool is four water slides, two of which measure 240ft and 325ft respectively, with the latter dropping five and half stories and measuring as the longest water slide of any resort in Hawaii. A new interactive splash zone, with water guns, spraying sea mammal sculptures and bubblers, create a wonderful playtime for all. Parents can enjoy a moment to themselves in the pool’s new swim-through grotto or under spacious family cabanas.
- Maluhia Serenity Pool: The signature adults-only infinity edge pool features over-water private cabanas, casabellas for two and luxury chaise lounges. The iconic space holds multi-level pool decks and presents unobstructed panoramic views of the Pacific.
- ‘Ohi Pools: The resort’s two new oceanfront pools offer an additional vantage point to enjoy the spectacular views of the Pacific. Perfect for whale watching, the dramatic infinity edge is steps from the ocean, so close guests greet the water’s mist as waves meet the coastline. Two whirlpool spas provide further relaxation. Numerous ocean view cabanas surround the pools and present an ideal way to reconnect with the water.
- Dive Pool: A distinct space for scuba certification, diving, snorkeling and other watersports instruction, the Dive Pool is part of the NALU Adventure Pool complex.
Indoor/Outdoor Event Spaces
New and modern event spaces offer 30,000 square feet of indoor meeting and function space, along with 72,000 square feet of outdoor event space. Guests enjoy sweeping Pacific Ocean views from virtually all meeting spaces. Sophisticated venues, including the new Makai Oceanview Ballroom, combine with stunning oceanfront settings to offer a myriad of options to meeting and event planners. Enhanced WiFi ensures productivity and a dedicated onsite AV team customizes each event.
Te Au Moana, also known as “The Ocean Tide” Luau, is a cultural experience curated exclusively for the resort. A vibrant program transports guests on a journey through the island’s history and its people in song, dance and “talk story.” A truly authentic experience at the ocean’s edge on the new Luau Gardens, the luau features Hawaiian culinary offerings and local favorites paired perfectly with tropical cocktails.
Families enjoy a new collection of experiences for all generations. The Kolohe Keiki Club offers children under 12 an engaging learning and play facility with full- and half-day programs. GameSpace is an inviting venue to entertain teens and families with foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, and vintage arcade and Xbox games. The Movie House is complete with a 90″ screen, thunderous surround sound, beanbag seating for 60 and cinema snacks.
Arrival / Departure Lounge
The private lounge features personal showers, lockers and spa-like amenities for guests to take full advantage of the resort before take-off or upon arrival.
“The Water Awaits” Celebration Package
In celebration of Wailea Beach Resort’s transformation, the property is offering a special “The Water Awaits” package that includes accommodations in a fully restyled guest room; daily breakfast for two at HUMBLE MARKET KITCHIN by Roy Yamaguchi; an exclusive Outrigger Canoe ride and “swim with the turtles” experience for 2 with a Hawaiian cultural expert and skilled waterman; snorkel tour off the Wailea coast for 2; a one-day resort casabella rental; and a sunset cocktail experience overlooking the water. The limited time celebration package starts at $539/night for stays of four nights or longer.